The King’s Arms is one of the most popular pub names in England – and that’s mostly thanks to King Henry VIII. During the Reformation, when the king disbanded the monasteries, publicans who’d previously nodded to their religion through their pub’s name (such as The Lamb and Flag) hastily changed the sign above the door. Some, such as The King Arms, took up names that reflected their loyalty to the king.
Over the years, the pub has changed its name several times. Originally known as the Corner House in the 1500s, it was later known as The Compasses before changing its name to The King’s Arms in 1795. Today, we pay tribute to the pub’s history by naming our beautiful boutique bedrooms after various kings.